- follow a healthier, sustainable diet;
- consume less water-intensive products;
- reduce the scandalous food wastage: 30% of the food produced worldwide is never eaten and the water used to produce it is definitively lost!
- produce more food, of better quality, with less water. "
For rice producers looking to either convert to, or begin, center pivot and linear irrigation, benefits include:
- Resource conservation
- Higher profitability for growers
- Lower total input costs
- Another additional crop in rotation
- Ability to grow crops on land not suitable for:
- Traditional flood irrigation
- Other agricultural crops
- Precision application of chemicals and fertilizers through the center pivot/linear
Want to help celebrate World Water Day 2012? Find campaign materials and updates on worldwide events at www.UNWater.org/WorldWaterDay.