Thursday, November 14, 2013

Everything is Big in Texas, Including the Irrigation Show | by Jerry Gerdes

When attending the Irrigation Association Irrigation Show & Education Conference, I always look forward to seeing friends and colleagues and catching up with what is going on in their lives, and also talking some business. This year’s meeting held special meaning for me.
Photo courtesy of Paige Electric


Last summer, I was nominated for an open position on the Irrigation Association Certification Board and in August received word that I had been selected to join the board after the 2013 meeting. I’m honored to represent the agricultural irrigation industry as a member of the board.

At last week’s meeting, I had the opportunity to meet the current board members and sit in on the board meetings. Everyone made me feel very welcome. I look forward to continuing the great work that has been done since the Certification Board was created 30 years ago.

The I.A. Certification Program allows people within the irrigation industry to demonstrate their knowledge by passing examinations and becoming certified in specific areas of irrigation. If you are interested in knowing more about the Certification Program, visit the I.A. website and click on certification.

The Valley® display booth saw very good traffic throughout the show. Attendees from all around the world stopped to visit with us about the Valley center pivot and linear product lines. The show is also an excellent opportunity for me to find out what’s new in irrigation.

Texas State Capital Building
This year’s show was held in downtown Austin, TX, where the weather was quite comfortable compared to Nebraska in November.

This was my first visit to Austin, so I set aside a few hours to explore the downtown area. There are many restaurants to choose from, and I highly recommend the Vince Young Steakhouse on Second Street and Eddy V’s Prime Seafood on Fifth Street.

The Texas State Capital is in the downtown area and was one of the highlights of my visit to Austin. Like most things in Texas, it is very big!



Jerry Gerdes
Product Manager - Water Application

Jerry, Nebraska-based Water Application Product Manager, contributes years of experience from his time working for a sprinkler manufacturer prior to joining Valley Irrigation. Currently working with different sprinkler manufacturers, Jerry develops the recommendations for the optimum water application package for a grower's operation.

Comments