The U.S.A Rice Federation explains:
"Initiated by an act of Congress in 1991, NRM helps increase awareness of rice and recognizes the contribution the U.S. rice industry makes to America’s economy. NRM celebrations will take place across America in grocery stores, restaurants, schools, and rice-growing communities."
To learn more about National Rice Month, please watch this video produced by the U.S.A. Rice Federation.
For more information on the U.S.A. Rice Federation, please visit their website.
To help celebrate National Rice Month, I will be posting my favorite rice recipes from now until October 1!
- 3-4 large green bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded - for topping)
- Ground sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1-2 large sauce pans, with lids
- 1 shallow baking dish
- Wash and core green peppers; cut 3 of the peppers in half length-wise.
- Fill a large sauce pan with water and bring to a boil; add the 3 peppers.
- Boil peppers for 4-5 minutes, or until blanched.
- Remove peppers from the water and place them upside down on a paper towel or plate until all water has been drained.
- Finely chop the last pepper.
- In a large sauce pan, brown ground beef/turkey, chopping finely; add chopped green pepper.
- Cook ground meat and green pepper together until the green pepper is about half-cooked, salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can water.
- Add rice (uncooked); put a lid on the pan.
- Cook mixture until rice is tender.
- Place blanched green peppers in a shallow baking dish and fill with meat/rice "stuffing."
- Top with cheese and microwave at 50% for about 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.