Monday, May 19, 2014

Valley Is Proud to Support Cancer Research | by Shannon Peterson

There comes a point in life when nearly every person is touched by cancer. Whether it’s a colleague, a friend, or a family member, you likely know someone who has fought that battle.

In Nebraska alone, there are more than 9,000 new cases of cancer diagnosed every year.

Those of us who are lucky become survivors. Others are not so lucky.

Valley® is working to make a difference in the fight against cancer by donating a center pivot for the live auction at the Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska. The Ball is an annual event that raises money for cancer research.

The winning bidder will receive a 1,300-foot, fully loaded Valley 8000 series seven tower center pivot. And, thanks to 21st Century Water Technologies in Scottsbluff, the pivot will be delivered and installed in the winners’ field.

The Cattlemen’s Ball donates 90 percent of the money raised to the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. The other 10 percent stays in the host community to support local health care. Through the years, the event has raised more than $9.8 million dollars for cancer research.

I invite you to take a moment learn more about the Cattlemen’s Ball, which is being held June 6-7 in Harrisburg, Neb., and the Buffett Cancer Center. Or, consider supporting cancer research in your area. As a 10-year survivor, I can attest to the difference every dollar can make.

Shannon Peterson
Marketing Content Editor

Shannon joined Valley Irrigation in 2013. She enjoys traveling with her family, particularly to national parks, and she occasionally writes about her travels for tourism magazines. Shannon also likes reading, trying new restaurants, seeing movies, and watching Husker football and Creighton basketball. However, she and her husband spend most of their free time chauffeuring their teenage son to activities and chasing their baby daughter.