- 1 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingeroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder (or, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked basmati rice or jasmine rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell pepper or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Monday, June 25, 2012
Recipe Card | by Kelly Cackin
Well, we skipped this segment last week - so, we'll be posting 2 Recipe Cards this week!
One of this week's Recipe Cards features Indian Spiced Rice, originally posted by Food.com user Anu.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently until they have softened. Sprinkle in the ginger, garlic, cardamom, nutmeg, red chili powder, and cumin. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the rice to the saucepan, and saute the rice with the spices for minutes, stirring constantly. Add the lentils and salt into the saucepan. Add 3 cups of water into the pan, stir. Place the potatoes into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan, and turn the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Place the bell pepper, peas, and raisins into the saucepan. Stir well, then cover the pan again. Cook for 10 minutes more, or until the rice, potatoes, and lentils are cooked. Stir in the butter, if desired. Serve hot. Happy eating!
Once you try this recipe, let us know what you think! Post your reviews in the Discussion Box below.
Posted by Kelly Cox at 8:47 AM